Sunday, September 7, 2008

An Apple Pancake Made With Yeast


Sunday,September 7,2008
Yeast Apple Pancakes
It's already September and I'm wondering where the time has gone. While it is still officially summer , signs of autumn are becoming very evident.Apples are abundant all year long, but when you can buy them by the bushel and hear their crispness when you bite into one you know for sure that ,"fall" is just around the corner. So when I saw a display of apples , I couldn't resist.
Apple pancakes were definitely on the menu this morning, but I was looking for something different. One of my goals this year was to "master" working with yeast and although my mother made lovely German apple pancakes, I also remember her making them with a yeast dough. So with a little improvisation (as she didn't write down all her recipes) I think I came pretty close.
Yeast Apple Pancakes
1c. warm milk
1pkg. yeast
1tsp. sugar
1/4c sugar
2 eggs
2c. flour
1tsp. vanilla
1T. oil
2 tart apples peeled and sliced thinly
splash of rum or grand marnier(optional)
Warm milk and add to the yeast and teaspoon of sugar and let the mixture proof.(about 10 minutes)
Beat eggs with 1/4 cup of sugar and add to yeast mixture after it has bubbled and risen.Mix.
Fold in the remaining ingredients, cover with a dish towels and place in a warm place for about 30 -45 minutes.(it will rise and grow).
Place on medium heat griddle and fry up as usual, turning pancakes when you see them start to bubble.
All in all a little extra work and waiting period , but a lovely alternative to your usual pancake.

No comments: