Monday, January 23, 2012

ORANGE DATE SQUARES


After 36 years of marriage you would think that I would know what my husband liked  for something a little sweet to nibble on. For example I know that when he had his nose job after making contact with a rugby cleat all he asked for were his mother's chocolate chip cookies. In a torte he always asks for a Frankfurter Kranz,at Christmas he loves Red Velvet cake and Nanaimo bars, and he especially enjoys a good pound cake or banana cake with a cup of tea. So why am I posting a date square? Because whenever we are invited out where someone serves a date square, my husband chirps quite pleasantly how ,"date squares", are his favourite!! Really??  I swear , his mother never made a date square in her life, neither did my mom or for that matter any one of my sisters....oh wait, he tells me that his Aunt Louise makes date squares... whatever!The point being after all these years surely he would have asked me to make some..before now .

While it may not be a new recipe for you,but it is most certainly my first attempt at making these squares. I probably should have called Aunt Louise,but instead I chose to go to a Canadian Living recipe where I know for sure recipes are tested and guaranteed not to fail.

 Dates are a good source of fibre, and I must admit these squares are satisfying and quite delicious and would make a good morning snack...they are just a bit too sweet for my tastes.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon grated orange rind
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter cubed
1/3 cup sliced hazelnuts (optional)

Filling
375 grams pitted dates
3/4 cup sugar
2Tbsp. lemon juice
2Tbsp. orange juice

Preparation

Filling:In a saucepan stir together 2 cups water ,dates,sugar, lemon and orange juices and let stand for 30 minutes.
Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium and boil gently, stirring often, until thickened, around 10 minutes. Let cool.

In large bowl whisk together oats,sugar,flour,orange rind and salt.
Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Press 1/2 of oat mixture evenly into an 8 inch square parchment lined pan.
Spread with date mixture.
Toss remaining oat mixture with hazelnuts if you are using them, sprinkle over date mixture pressing lightly.
Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 45 minute.

2 comments:

Barb said...

I love them for breakdast too!

Unknown said...

The best date squares will make them again!!!! yummy!!!!