Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Panko Halibut



Ron and I like to pick up our fresh fish from the Pelican Fish Market. When time allows we like to have lunch at their attached restaurant. They have the best calamari crispy but not greasy. That day I had ordered a Talapia breaded in Panko and fell in love with this Asian bread crumb. Panko is a Japanese bread crumb, coarse and jagged- edged it is made from the soft tender centers of the bread rather than the crust. They are lighter than traditional western bread crumbs and maintain essential crispiness longer and contain less salt and calories. The best part is that they absorb far less grease than western bread crumbs and taste yummier.
So the halibut we purchased to b.b.q. I now decided to ,"Panko".
I pre -heated the oven to 400 degrees, I did not want to fry these beautiful halibut pieces, as everybody is trying to eat healthier, so I lightly coated a backing sheet with olive oil and placed it in the oven to heat up, while I prepared the fish.
1. Coat fish in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
2.Dredge fish in an egg and water mixture.
3.Lastly coat in Panko bread crumbs.
I then lowered the heat to 350 degrees placed my halibut pieces on the heated baking sheet and lightly sprinkled Olive oil on top of the fish. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
Wow, the results were fantastic, light , crispy and with a fraction of the calories than pan frying them! I highly recommend the Panko bread crumbs.
In Ottawa I have not found them at our local Loblaws, but as mentioned the Pelican carries this product and possibly other fish markets may carry them also.

No comments: