Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Spring Vegetable Soup with Wieners

Yes, I know that it is finally hot enough outside to fry an egg on the driveway, but believe me, my fridge really needed to be cleaned out and what better way to use up all those "older vegetables". but in a soup?
Not to mention the package of left over wieners that I bought at Costco to serve with the potato salad. I usually buy my sausages and frankfurters from Adam's deli, they make the best in all of Ottawa, but they are in the east end and I live in the southwest , and I had a very busy week with my sister who was visiting from Delaware , so it was easier just going to Costco and buy the wieners there, the drawback is that I ended up with more than I needed or could possibly eat in a week! So why not add them to the soup?
There really is no recipe for this soup, as you use up whatever veggies you have left in the fridge. In my case it was,carrots, celery, a small piece of cauliflower, a package of left over baby spinach, green beans, and some diced potatoes (about four). First I sauteed some double smoked bacon (from Adam's deli),and a small diced onion in some olive oil, then added the carrot and celery , and then around 6-8 cups of boiling water, then the potatoes, cauliflower and beans. To that , I also included a cube of fat free all vegetable bouillon by McCormick, just for a little extra flavour. Bring it all to a boil and then simmer until the veggies are soft, and at the end I added the wieners and some salt and pepper.
By the time the soup was ready, the sky turned dark and the heavens opened up with rain! All in all, the soup turned out not to be such a bad idea after all.
Serve with a rustic bread and garnish with some parmesan cheese. (optional)

No comments: