Wednesday, December 3, 2008

CHOCOLATE-DIPPED BRITTLE WITH SEA SALT

With the Chuck Wagon out of the way I prepared the kitchen for my first ever attempt at making nut brittle. Until a few days ago I never even owned a candy thermometer, but when I saw this recipe from Anna Olsen's holiday favourites, I knew I wanted to attempt this recipe. I followed the recipe exactly and my first attempt yielded a very dark brittle, that was very thick and in my opinion had way too many nuts in it! I had boiled the sugar exactly 12 minutes as described in the notes, but as I had only a picture to compare it to, I thought it didn't look at all like it was supposed to. It did harden and was quite tasty, but decided to try again.
The second time I only used 11/2 cup of nuts as opposed to 2 cups and followed the recipe again. Put the timer on 12 minutes and lo and behold this time I got a lighter brittle... I don't know why, but at least it looked closer to the photo in the magazine. When it hardened I continued with the chocolate dip and the sea salt. Umm heavenly.



CHOCOLATE- DIPPED NUT BRITTLE WITH SEA-SALT
makes about 24pieces
1/2 C walnut pieces
1/2 C pecan pieces
1/2 C pine nuts
1/2 C almond slivers
1/4 C butter cut into pieces+extra for greasing
1 T vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
11/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C white corn syrup
1/3 C water
1 C chocolate chip
1 tsp. sea salt

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 .Spread all the nuts on un greased baking sheet and bake until toasted about 10 min. Cool.

2. Line a shallow pan with parchment paper and grease lightly.
In a small bowl place the vanilla, butter and baking soda. No need to blend. Set aside.

3. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, over high heat bring sugar, corn syrup and 1/3 cup of water to a boil. While sugar cooks brush the sides of the pan with cool water. Boil sugar until it turns a light amber color about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla, butter and soda . Stir using a wooded spoon, mixture will foam up. Stir in nuts until they are all coated and spoon mixture onto prepared tray and spread as thinly as possible. You will have to work fast. Let brittle cool at room temperature.

4. Melt chocolate chip in microwave on MEDIUM stirring every 10 seconds. Crack the brittle and dip into the melted chocolate, place on the same greased parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt and let chocolate set.
Store in an airtight container. DO NOT FREEZE.

1 comment:

nik said...

I found this same recipes for chocolate dipped brittle in a magazine but i'm not quite sure about one direction in the recipe maybe you can help me...what does it mean when it says "While sugar cooks brush down sides of pan with cool water" Does it mean on the outside of the pan that the sugar is in while it is on the stove with a cloth??? Or the inside of the pan??? Or is it the other pan??? Pls help ive never seen this before. Thank you in advance.