Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Sour Cream Pancake Breakfast

Yes, the "Man", always deserves a great breakfast, so how to make this one a little special was the question of the day. I am always on the lookout for a good pancake recipe but alas, Father's Day crept up on me this year and I didn't have time to peruse my endless growing library of cookbooks.
Maybe a nice buttermilk pancake?? but nope I didn't have any buttermilk
in the fridge, then I remembered an Ina Garten Sour Cream Pancake recipe, but much to my horror, I didn't even have sour cream in the fridge.Which is usually a staple in my house, but earlier this week a trip to the market had me buying the new first crop of delicious beets in a myriad of colors. So after making a pot of Borscht with the red ones, i saw that the kids depleted the sour cream as they used it in the soup every time they heated up a bowl, no problem because....
The good news was that I has some plain organic yogurt so I substituted that for the sour cream.


The "Man", is not a big fruit eater, an occasional orange, nectarine or banana if I really make a fuss. He will eat blueberries , so in went the blueberries in his pancakes.


The other men in this house like their pancakes plain. But this recipe easily lends itself to adding some diced or mashed bananas to the batter
a very yummy addition to any pancake batter. The recipe is your standard pancake batter so I'll just include the ingredients and for go the directions as everybody knows to just incorporate the wet with the dry and then prepare in your griddle or pan following the manufactures direction.
Along with the breakfast, the "Man" is being treated to a game of golf with his brother-in-law as the sons unfortunately had to work today, but we'll all get together for a big family supper this evening, which my sister is preparing and hosting... BONUS!!
To all the Dads out there have a great day ~ Relax and Enjoy!
SOUR CREAM PANCAKES
1-1/2 c flour
3 Tablespoon sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c sour cream (i used yogurt)
3/4 c milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla
Makes a good 10-12 medium sized extra high and fluffy pancakes.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy and fluffy.....Babs

Anonymous said...

yummy and fluffy...babs

Pauline said...

Everything looks good I bet the pancakes are delish!