Lemon and blueberry are a great flavour pairing, although, I must say that I also enjoy a blueberry, orange pairing , either or would work lovely here, so use whatever you have on hand. Try adding some basil to the blueberry sauce for some extra KICK!
- 1 3/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 3/4 2% milk (room temp)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs seperated (at room temp)
- 2 t. icing sugar
- 2 cups wild blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. chopped basil (optional)
- Sift together first 4 ingredients and then stir in the lemon zest. In a smaller bowl whisk together milk, egg yolks and butter until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually stir in wet until just combined. DO NOT to stir. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a dry bowl whisk egg whites until fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar while beating until soft peaks form. Fold gently into waffle batter.
- Ladle batter into waffle iron and cook as per machines instructions.
- Combine blueberries, maple syrup and lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat, mashing blueberries slightly, until reduced and slightly thickened about 5 mins. Remove and cool stir in basil and serve over waffles. (makes 6 servings)