Sunday, May 24, 2009

CHERRY-RHUBARB-STREUSELKUCHEN

Kuchen means cake, but this fast and easy recipe is made on a jelly roll sheet.
Last evening Jackie had given me some rhubarb and I knew just the recipe that I wanted to make.
While at my sister's house the other day , I had picked up a magazine that she had brought home from Switzerland. It was the May issue and they had this Cherry-rhubarb streusel recipe for Mother's day in it. I had planned on making it a few days ago, but every grocery store that I went to did not have any rhubarb. Would you believe that at one store they wanted to sell me Swiss chard, as rhubarb, because it had red stems. The funny thing is that it wasn't even a kid, but an adult gentleman from the produce department that kept insisting it was Rhubarb! Can you imagine that!!Anyways the problem was solved with the gift from Jackie.



This morning I set forth and made the cake. Susan, this piece is for you. When you called I was just putting the streusel on. 40 minutes later we could have had a coffee and a piece of cake. Too bad that you are in Montreal and I'm in Ottawa.
Oh well, we still had a nice chat and got caught up on things.

Cherry-Rhubarb-Streusel Cake
1.350 grams drained sour cherries ( my jar was over 500 gr. so I used 2/3 of the jar)
2.500 grams washed and cleaned rhubarb cut into 1 cm. pieces.
3.250 g. soft butter
4.200 g. sugar
5. a pinch of salt
6. zest of one lemon
7. 5 eggs
8.250 g. flour and 1 tsp. baking powder
For the streusel, some butter (40g.) sugar(50g) flour (100g.)and a dash of cinnamon.crumble together.
Drain the cherries and wash the rhubarb and slice into 1cm. pieces. In a mixing bowl cream the butter,sugar and salt and lemon zest.Alternately add the flour baking powder and eggs, until mixture is well blended. Pour into a 32x28 greased baking pan. Sprinkle the cherry and rhubarb over the dough and lightly press into the dough. Prepare streusel and place on top of fruit mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40-45 minutes. Garnish with some whipped cream, or serve as is . Delicious.

No comments: